Saturday, April 21, 2012

10 Minute Challenge

Take The Challenge!

  In this weeks edition of A Day On The Lake I want to be a little more simple and practical. I just want to throw out a simple challenge, with the possibility of a complex effect . The challenge that I am referring to is something that I like to call The 10-Minute Challenge. Now I know what you might be thinking, but let me reassure you; this challenge has nothing to do with eating a bunch of cinnamon, or trying to guzzle a half-gallon of milk in 10 minutes, or trying to see if you can drink half the bottle of Ex-Lax  in 10 minutes without losing it (although I have always been tempted to try that one haha). No, This is a challenge that could potentially have a more…lasting effect. The 10-Minute Challenge is something that I have recently started and it is simply a challenge of Prayer. I am challenging you (and myself) to pray for 10 minutes straight, every day, with no distractions. This seems pretty easy right? Well, there is a catch, just a slight one though. I want to challenge us to pray for 10 minutes straight…with no distractions…FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. What does that mean? Well, you have probably already guessed it. We have to wake up 10 minutes earlier than normal (and if you are like me, you will need to set the alarm 15 minutes earlier because you will need the first five minutes to convince yourself to get out of that bed). Yes, I know, this seems tragic! This probably seems even more tragic if you are not a morning person. However, I believe that this challenge is critical! Not because I am saying it, but because the first 10 minutes of our day are critical, and should be approached as such. The first 10 minutes of our day are liable to set the pattern for the next 1,430 minutes of our day. Therefore, I think that it is totally necessary to start off our day by talking to the one who created our day. The Lord Almighty.

 

Former football star Reggie White once said, “Every morning, I make sure that my knees hit the floor before my feet do”. I love this statement because he is referring to a consistent prayer habit that we should all strive to mimic. Now, was Reggie saying that we should roll out of bed sideways and fall to our knees so that our feet never touch the ground? I highly doubt it. However, I do think he was demonstrating that our first priority of the day should be talking to the creator of our universe. Although many people already have formed this habit, I know that most of us have not. For me personally I have always done my devotion and prayer time at night, and I will continue do that as well, but now my mornings start 10 minutes earlier (well technically 15). So, I dare you! Take The 10-Minute Challenge! Wake up, get out of bed and find your place to pray (praying in bed is probably not the best choice, I have tried that many a time…zzzz). Take it one day at a time and see what God does in your life. See if you don’t have more energy, joy, confidence, hope, and Love to share with your world. 

Peace
Love
God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment